Saturday, September 30, 2006

Some things never change

Windows became shutters; curtains they were not no longer; blinded by blinds I was. I can no longer see floors, well carpeted they all are. There isn’t even no such thing as concrete walls, changing with the changing seasons. All wood, hopefully no termites. Little changes enveloping my life, I was taking it one at a time, making a face in the beginning, getting used to it in due course, even secretly enjoying some of these things.
There was no sound of milkman stashing the milk and newspaper in the mornings at the door step. Who cares! Refrigerated milk and online newspapers were as good. Only I had to plan in advance and make sure there was always some supply of milk in the fridge and newspaper never felt like it when u did not hold it and feel that papyrus. But as long as I never reminded myself of these things, it did not matter. Till…
Till one fine day, when you are locked in with no milk do u actually feel the pinch. Not one to wake with the sun, it never mattered. Not until the night I never slept, cuddled in bed with a book, just staying up for the heck of it. The fact that it was a bad old Monday morning soon enough did not matter. I just did it for the heck of it. At five, the signs of insomnia began taking shape and I decided tea it was for me. Holy cow! I had wiped the milk carton clean the previous night! And then I missed the milkman and noisy mornings and even the pressure cooker whistle so much. I was even getting close to the point of hollering loud and clear into the phone to that faraway land. Click, click, type numbers, Trinng. On second thoughts, quite an expensive affair! Shut the phone tight. Tea, without milk it shall be. Five minutes and lot of boiling later, a dark brown liquid emerged. It was so transparent, I could apparently see the bottom of the Ikea cup. It did not look like tea, how would it taste like one? A sip. Yuck! And this was after 2 packets of sugar free. I missed the milk and the milkman and the familiar noise once again.
Two things I learnt after this
a) Tea without milk (the creamer hardly a substitute) is not quite IT and so always have milk stored in the refrigerator. This is an absolute must, just as removing shoes in the airport and sniffing around to make sure the stench is not emanating from your own feet, is.
b) Some things never change!

3 Comments:

Blogger Shirsha said...

Aah! thr u r finally, away from the clutches of the prince.. err... charming(?)!?

11:10 AM  
Blogger srp said...

aah and also

(d) make sure I don't get to see the bottom of that ikea cup when I land up for a cup of coffee

for that last time... ever?

6:25 AM  
Blogger Anand Lonkar said...

Where are you now a days? You are not there in infy address book!

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home